Good user experience (UX) design is about having a deep understanding of users, what they need, what they value, their abilities, and also their limitations. It should also take into account the business goals and objectives of project. UX best practices promote improving the quality of the user’s interaction with and perceptions of your product and any related services.
Creating a successful user-centred design and strategy encompasses the principles of human-computer interaction (HCI) and goes further to include the following disciplines:
- User Research – understanding user behaviours, needs, and motivations through observation techniques, task analysis, and other feedback methodologies.
- Usability Evaluation – how well users can learn and use a product to achieve their goals. It also refers to how satisfied users are with that process.
- Information Architecture (IA) -how information is organised, structured, and presented to users.
- User Interface (UI) Design – anticipating what users might need to do and providing the interface elements that are easy to access, understand, and use to facilitate those actions.
- Interaction Design (IxD) – creating engaging interactive systems with well thought out behaviours.
- Visual Design – ensuring an aesthetically pleasing interface that is in line with brand goals, and which works in agreement with other UX goals.
- Content Strategy – writing and curating useful content by planning the creation, delivery and governance behind it.
- Accessibility – managing howdisabled individuals accesses or benefits from a site, system or application.
- Web Analytics – the collection, reporting, and analysis of website data to monitor the effectiveness of applied UX strategies and designs.
In our 30 minutes webinar Cory explains some of these disciplines in more detail, and offers up potential opportunities where you, as site owners, could benefit from a focused and sustained UX strategy.
About Cory Johnson
Cory currently acts as our Senior UX Design Consultant at HighWire with a career spanning 25 years of continuous commercial IT experience having worked in UX design, UI design, UI development (front and back-end), technical support, team leadership, project management, technical architecture, class instructor and technical analyst roles in a broad variety of industries including STM.